Why it matters
The retail sector employs more than 320,000 citizens in Arizona, is the fourth largest workforce sector, and is often the first job for youth where they acquire employability skills. RetailWorks AZ is working to build a thriving ecosystem to assist incumbent workers to reach their full potential through skills acquisition and supportive talent management practices by retail employers.
How it works
RetailWorks AZ supports the important role the retail sector plays in Arizona’s economy and in the lives of many Arizonans, whose first job experience and skills are often acquired in retail. Through this initiative, CFA brings education and employee development together in support of front-line, entry level retail workers to make it easier and faster for retail workers to move up the career ladder within retail across Arizona and build a pipeline of skilled talent for the state.
CFA currently partners with over 20 major retailers and 15 workforce development partners to bring innovative employment practices, wraparound supports, and skills and training to communities across the state.
The RetailWorks AZ initiative is the first of its kind for Arizona and has great potential to be a model nationally for a how a region can tap into the economic development opportunities that come from leveraging the retail industry.
- Upskilled 500+ job seekers and incumbent workers through the National Retail Federation (NRF) Rise Up Credential Retail Industry Fundamentals curriculum, an industry-recognized credential
- Engaged 20+ Maricopa County retailers in the Retail Employer Network to catalyze changes in upskilling and progressive talent management practices
- Launched AZRetailCareers.com website to close the knowledge gap about retail careers for job seekers, incumbent workers and workforce development partners, as well as supporting the many displaced retail and hospitality workers during COVID-19
- Arizona Department of Education
- Arizona Office of Economic Opportunity
- Arizona@Work City of Phoenix
- Arizona@Work Maricopa
- Chicanos Por La Causa
- Goodwill of Central & Northern Arizona
- Greater Phoenix Chamber of Commerce Foundation
- Local First Arizona & Local First Foundation Rural Development Council
- Maricopa Community Colleges
- Aspen Institute
- Corporation for Skilled Workforce
- National Fund for Workforce Solutions
- National Immigration Forum
- National Skills Coalition
Center for the Future of Arizona Announces Major Helios Grant to Advance Education in the State
Funds kick off organization’s three-year “Building Arizona’s Bright Future Together” campaign